10/12/12

Adrian Sherwood Remixology Vol. 1


"It was in 1993 that I first witnessed Adrian Sherwood using the mixing desk as an instrument. He was in the room next to us at London’s Roundhouse Studios where we were working on tracks for Atari Teenage Riot. I remember so clearly how he was artfully layering sounds and using old delays and phasers to create this wide-open space – dubbed-out sonic landscapes is one of his specialities, of course. If you listen to seventies dub like Lee Perry’s “The Good, the Bad and the Upsetters” it all sounds very compressed, compared with Sherwood productions, where you can clearly hear each element. It’s sound as vision. Listening to him work that day, it became obvious that Sherwood came from a generation for whom experimentation was crucial. You see, in the pre-sampling eighties, everyone seemed to be thinking about how to create not only weirder, unexpected sounds, but also ones that aren’t so easy to replicate – individualized sound design. (…) After I got about halfway through Survival & Resistance, I began to wonder why it is I love Adrian Sherwood, but find dubstep and new generations of dub-influenced subgenres so characterless. I guess one of the reasons is that so many dubstep producers use the same software, which naturally limits their imagination and sonic capacity. I don’t just mean the sounds themselves, but also their conceptual wherewithal that supports the pure music."
(Alec Empire on Adrian Sherwood, Electronic Beats)

Πέρα από τις δεκάδες κυκλοφορίες που έχει επιμεληθεί ο ίδιος ο Adrian Sherwood μέσα από το προσωπικό του label της On-U Sound, έχει παράλληλα ασχοληθεί ως guest remixer/producer σε δίσκους τρίτων, μια κίνηση με κατά βάση οικονομικά κίνητρα, αναγκαία για να διατηρήσει την οικονομική επιβίωση του ανεξάρτητού του label - "mixes for cash", όπως το έχει (κυνικά) θέσει ο Aphex Twin.

"I did various remix jobs that had nothing to do with On-U because I thought I could do a good job on whatever I took and also I was getting paid for it. As I said before any money I made went into the label. I’m glad I did the collaborations, but a lot of the times the record companies were making the deals and not even talking to the artists. It’s revealing: each time I worked with the artists together on the remix or the production it turned out good. But when it was the record companies saying ‘go and do this’ it was less so."
(Adrian Sherwood, Electronic Beats)



Στο παλιό μπλογκ υπάρχει ένα εκτενές αφιέρωμα στην On-U Sound και τον Adrian Sherwood, στο οποίο ελάχιστα πράγματα θα μπορούσα να προσθέσω σήμερα.

Η παρούσα συλλογή προσπαθεί δειγματοληπτικά να καλύψει ένα μέρος του remix «πάρεργου» του Adrian Sherwood (με τη φιλοδοξία να ακολουθήσουν και επόμενα volumes). Ενώ το σύνολο των κομματιών μπορεί να προέρχεται από τελείως διαφορετικά μουσικά στυλ (από το industrial punk μέχρι τη μελωδική reggae), χάρη στην προσθήκη της διακριτής προσωπικής του σφραγίδας – σεισμικά ντραμς και μπάσο, στερεοφωνικές αντηχήσεις, θορυβώδεις κορυφώσεις – σε κάθε mix που αναλαμβάνει, το τελικό σύνολο διαθέτει αξιοσημείωτη συνοχή. Καθώς πολλά από τα remix είναι αρκετά δυσεύρετα (από limited promos, αποκλειστικά βινυλιακές εκδόσεις κ.ά.), η ποιότητα του ήχου μπορεί να διαφέρει από κομμάτι σε κομμάτι.


ΥΓ. Ένα παλιότερο mixtape για την On-U Sound βρίσκεται εδώ.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου